This week the challenge was to take a white sheet and turn it into a masterpiece. And once again....the designers did spectacular work (especially under pressure)! Be sure to scroll down to see all of the designer's looks and then make your vote count. The voting is in the left-hand column and it is one vote per computer (IP address).
Delia Creates--Pretty in Peach
I hand sewed french knots in charcoal grey embroidery floss, all over Natalie's shorts and hair bow to resemble dots and to add dimension and texture to the bed sheet fabric. Please come by my blog: deliacreates.blogspot.com for more pictures and some close ups of the garment details.
Lindsay, etc-- Battenburg Ballet Dress
For the white sheet challenge I made a dress fit for a night at the ballet with a battenburg lace style design cascading down the front. I wanted the dyeing process to be an after thought, and for the dress to have most of it's depth and detail from the contrasting white bias.
One white sheet? Sounds easy, but oh man…. it gives you WAY too many options! This was BY FAR the most challenging week for me. My crafting attention was all over the place and I swear I came up with about 17 different ideas. Guess who decided the look for me this week? AINSLEY! I asked her what she wanted and OF COURSE she said " A Kitty Cat outfit". In case you aren't a regular reader of my blog, Ainsley is seriously obsessed with Kitty Cats. Check out what I had to do for her birthday party HERE. So, I went with it. A twin size jersey knit sheet was the perfect option for this outfit: soft, comfortable, and easy to play kitty cat in! Plus, I love working with knits. So, I bought several color dyes, fabric paint, a kitty face stamp, and embroidery thread…. and off to work I went!
I self-drafted four different pieces: Reversible cardigan with cute kitty cat appliques on the front using coordinating knit fabric I found last year on clearance (bonus!), peasant style dress with two pockets embellished with kitty cat buttons, soft leggings featuring a hand embroidered kitty face on the tushie and hand stamped kitty faces around the hem of the pants, and a kitty face hat using an upcycled wool sweater.
Check out Welcome to the Mouse House for a ton of other photos because trust me, I take a lot of them!
A Girl and a Glue Gun--Salmon and Scallops and Sparkles, oh my.
alrighty. at first i was totally like..crap. a blank slate. i mean really. it's a bit intimidating.
when the world is your oyster it's kinda hard to dig out the pearl.
did that make zero sense?
anyways. here's what i came up with...
a bit of dyeing...painting...bead work...and some fancy cutting--i got four pieces that i totally love...
the skirt is ombre gray...cut into scallops...by using jersey knit i was able to leave the scallops just raw cut...which means they roll up a little...which i kinda love.
and scallops on the cardigan.
added some painted polka dots on the leggings..
and some bling for the shirt...
throw in an adorable (yet sassy) daughter
and you have this week's look:
you can come here to see even more pictures...
Elegance and Elephants--Kiss From a Rose
From white sheet to très chic! For this week's challenge I decided to dye my 100% organic cotton sheet with wine coloured liquid Rit dye. The rich colour that it became was perfect for a beautiful special occasion gown, so that's what it became. While the rules of this challenge allowed for only the majority of the outfit to be made from the sheet, I decided to make each piece exclusively from it (other than a little bit of tulle lining inside of the bodice), since I just loved the feel, drape, and subtle sheen of the fabric.
I designed the dress, and self-drafted the pattern, basically by pinning, draping, hand basting, and then cutting the bodice fabric directly on my dress form. This gown features pleated and draped shoulders with a cross-over front, and a full, gathered skirt. The back has an invisible zipper closure for a professional and formal look. To create two separate looks, I made a sash, dyed pearl grey, and a bolero jacket, stencilled by hand in a floral pattern. The jacket is also an original design. The accessories to accent this ensemble include a hand sewn fabric rose corsage and an oversized bow hairband.
For more details and photos from the rose garden, come visit Elegance & Elephants
Sew Country Chick--Purple Pumpkin
I am so happy to be here after barely squeaking by last week!
After making a black outfit last week and a muted dusky pink one with black trim previously, this week I knew I had to make something colorful and fun for Genevieve. Her favorite color is purple so I dyed each piece of her dress separately before I sewed them together to create this ombre type effect. I actually painted the dye on in different concentrations to give it a striped effect. I mixed some purple and royal blue RIT dye together to create this shade of bluish purple.
The dress is a high low style and I made the pattern from a maxi dress pattern I created this summer.
Gigi loves to twirl around in it and the purple color is just right for fall. Since we don't get much cool weather here in California until late November I know she will wear this little dress a lot during the warm days to come! It was fun to watch my dress evolve is I made it as I didn't have a clear picture of the dress and it just sort of formed itself as I made it over three days. Every night in bed I would think of something new to do to it. I really enjoyed the spontaneity of this challenge! If you would be interested in seeing more photos stop by my blog! I will be releasing this and all of my Project Run & Play patterns as PDF's soon.